Sunday, March 24, 2013

The Night Before (my first Boulder Food Rescue run)

Last time, I mentioned one of the organizations I was anxious to be a part of, Boulder Food Rescue. Well, since that last post, I attended the new volunteer orientation, and picked my first, permanent run. That pickup, starts tomorrow morning at 8am, and I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous.
First, it decided to snow all Friday night and into the weekend, leaving quite a mess on the roads and paths. I've been cycling all winter, but pulling a hundred pounds worth of food behind me? Is this going to work?
Secondly, being totally new to the system and process, I'm supposed to get a "chaperone" or at least someone to meet me to show me the ropes of collecting the food, weighing it, and delivering it to the right place. I know it's not rocket science, but I'm always overly-critical about "doing it wrong".

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm totally psyched and looking forward to tomorrow morning! I know that the small benefits I'm getting out of this totally dwarf in comparison to the benefits the food recipients get from BFR's service. I know that simply riding my bike, and hauling a little extra weight will literally feed people who could otherwise be food-insecure. And, I know I'll have fun no matter what...because I'm doing it by bicycle (I almost lied when they asked me if I owned a car...I do...because I don't ever want to have to rely on it for Boulder Food Rescue trips.).

So, tomorrow, I'll probably post something else, maybe with some photos or video of my route. Until then, I'm sharing BFR's informational video (that I've watched about a million times, myself). Wish me luck!

Boulder Food Rescue from Daniel Fickle on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment