Sunday, February 24, 2013

NAHBS '13 - Denver

Every day, I'm reminded of how amazing it is to be a cycling enthusiast living in Boulder, CO. This weekend, the reminder was the North American Handbuilt Bicycle Show (NABHS for short), which was held at the Colorado Convention Center in Denver, CO. 
I won't post the of the 206 photos I took, since you can easily view them, +1 them, share them, etc, from my Google+ album (rorowe's NAHBS '13 Album on Google+). What I will do is post a couple of my observations. 

  • Fat bikes! Everything from roll-over-anything-beasts to fat-tire tandems, to trail-maintenance fatbikes (the one by Moots was freakin' awesome!).
  • Tandems. I was surprised at the number of tandems and specialized tandem-tech there was at the show. It might've been me, but seeing Gates Carbon Drive tandems, DaVinci drivetrains, fatbike tandems, etc was actually pretty cool, albeit unexpected. 
  • I honestly don't know anything about half the things I saw on Friday. I'm just now starting to realize how much I don't know about lugs, welding, and any components not found on a very average commuter bike.
  • There are SO MANY local builders within minutes of my apartment, and even more if I'm willing to drive an hour or so. It first hit me on Thursday night when we were finishing up a print job at work for Mosaic Cycles (/drools). 
Enjoy the photos! Share 'em if you'd like (just keep the attribution, so I know that people are enjoying them). If you made it out to NAHBS this year, let me know what you thought!

No comments:

Post a Comment