Friday, October 10, 2008

Is social-media worth the time?

Before I start, you already know MY answer to the title is an outstanding, "YES". The question is meant for you...or the person who's not quite into social media yet.

I ask based on a conversation I've been having repeatedly with a close friend who's business is computer game design, audio/video editing, and other sorts of content creation. Their business seems like it would be perfect for a social-media aspect of it. At the very least, you'd think the owners would be into social-media, right?

Well, here's the deal: They're worried about the time sink involved in social networking, whether it's Twittering, blogging, or whatever. Their business lives are spent behind a computer doing everything from audio composition/mixing/recording, to advanced 3D modeling and texturing work, with video components added in for fun. I completely understand that time is of the essence, especially when it comes down to the wire with deadlines.

I think the best way to do this, is to suggest a test. For the next week, I am going to log how much time it takes me to check my various social-media outlets, specifically these main ones:
I'll log how long it takes to get through everything using a Google Spreadsheet. My goal is to convince people that social-media could take less than an hour a day (and can easily be spread throughout the day if necessary).
A couple flaws in my experiment: First off, I can't get away with checking my networks once a day. It just won't work for me. The matrix has me way too deep, *laughs*. Secondly, I'm not giving up mobile access (my friend currently doesn't own a cellphone, and would rather not use one ever). Finally, there are a number of variables that I can't control. But that's okay!

So, what do you think?
photo credit: AlbertNL

1 comment:

  1. First thing we need to do is start buy instagram followers real listing to what people are saying. These conversation are the Raw Data we can collect and later analyze.

    ReplyDelete