Monday, September 22, 2008

Should I Learn CSS?

Back when Geocities was new and fun, while I was almost a college sophomore, I sat and learned html enough to make myself a simple webpage. Then, Blogger came along, and I thought to myself, "Blogging sounds like it's all about the content!" so I gave that a shot. It still required a little bit of html, but most of it was as simple as filling out a form.

Webdesign has seemed to multiply into not only html, but javascript, java, xml, rss, ajax, flash, php, umm...whatever, I know I'm missing some, but you get the point.

So, notice the new layout? (if you're reading from the feed, ya won't see it) I took the layout I chose from Blogger's selection (Minima), and looked up sites that would help me do what I wanted. Most of the edits were copy/paste, but everytime I make a little change in the code, as opposed to just dragging and dropping a new widget into the layout, I begin to wonder whether I should actually learn cascading style sheets.
I've always toyed with programming and markup languages, but I've never gotten proficient in any of them except html. I've even played with Ruby and C++, so I'm definitely geek enough to tackle them. Is it worth it though?
Anyway, here are the two sites I found that helped with my template edits, mainly my new tag cloud, and the background images (while leaving the content and sidebar backgrounds white).

http://phy3blog.googlepages.com/Beta-Blogger-Label-Cloud.html
http://tips-for-new-bloggers.blogspot.com/2007/03/background-image-for-blogger-template.html

Enjoy, and give them some page hits if you need similar help with your pages!

No comments:

Post a Comment